October cycle tour map

October cycle tour map

Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Skenes Creek to Aireys Inlet


Skenes Creek - Aireys Inlet = 60km (via the Great Ocean Road GOR)
Cummulative total = 1850km

Everyone says that if you are to see the GOR then their is no better way to see it than by pushbike, mind you all that have said it to us have never seen it by pushbike and clearly have this romantic view that by riding your pushbike must be the better way to see the GOR ... I don't think so Michael!!! I reckon the absolute best way to see the GOR is by walking along the roadside with absolutely no cars for the entire time it takes for you walk the GOR ... you're dreaming Jonesy!!!
Back to reality it was a very pleasant ride from Skenes Creek to Lorne, we started out at about 8am and there was very little traffic until around 9.30am and even then there still wasn't much. The road was a bit bumpy but had an okay shoulder that at times we could ride in to let cars pass us, otherwise the shoulder was too rough and dangerous to ride in. The road was up and down but the gradients were easy and we had a head wind the entire way to Aireys Inlet.
There were nice stops at Kennett, Wye and Cumberland Rivers.

Looking back towards Skenes Creek and Apollo Bay way in the distance!
I was dreading going through Lorne, I tend to struggle with the traffic through busy places with the loaded bike and Kouta (as he has a tendancy to move about in the trailer and causes all havoc with my steering of the bike!) and I knew there would be a narrow bike lane between parked cars and the car lane and I also knew that there would be some idiot blocking it at some point and I would have to come into the car lane and I also knew there would be some irrate driver who would get annoyed because I have had to come out into the car lane and she would not like that at all ... and I WAS RIGHT that all happened as we went through Lorne!
Man that place should be NUKED with a nuclear bomb, what a pretentious little town, and the schoolies were there by their thousands, OMG I think schoolies should be seriously replaced with CONSCRIPTION!! good idea don't you think?!
The road from Lorne to Aireys Inlet was worse I thought (Neil thinks it was better) still it was bumpy and there was a marked increase in the traffic (definitely everyone stops at Lorne as there was nowhere near the traffic on the other side of Lorne going to Apollo Bay!) and heaps of P platers but they weren't too bad with us, I find that drivers are not quite sure what to do when they come across us (or any cyclists) and some even hesitate when overtaking, earlier today one driver just down right irritated me, I was cycling along and saw they hung back when overtaking Neil and then they procrastinated with me, meanwhile I had moved over to the shoulder and there was plenty of room and slowly I ran out of shoulder and they still had held back, I turned my head and almost came to a complete stop as I had nowhere to go except for back on the car lane and I wasn't sure why this person hadn't overtaken me, anyway he must have read my lips as I said a few choice words and indicated to overtake before I had an accident on the non existent shoulder that was ahead!!!
Anyway the scenerary anywhere along the GOR is spectacular and we were fortunate today that it was a lovely sunny day so we could see alot of the coast line ahead of us.
We were previously going to continue on to Anglesea, but when we rang up from Colac to check to see if one of the 3 campgrounds take dogs they said yes but no to tents (what the hell kind of campground doesn't allow for tents!) and then the other 2 campgrounds at Anglesea took tents but not dogs! In fact I think we should also NUKE Anglesea as well as Lorne! I remember last time we came through the GOR Anglesea campgrounds wanted $62 for camping the Tuesday after Easter break ... we said No Way Hosea!!! I remember we ended up at Winchelsea for $12!!! So I don't like Anglesea very much we find it very difficult staying there with our choice of camping and mode of transport!
But the campground at Aireys Inlet took tents and kouta, so it is a nice campground but also expensive to camp (unpowered = $28 with a top tourist discount!!!) so it is definitely expensive anywhere along the GOR. But the facilities here are lovely, the showers and toilets are nice and clean and the camp kitchen is brand new and I am seriously thinking of permanently moving into this caravan park just to enjoy the brand new kitchen they have - very modern!

beautiful clear water (cold though!) and in the distant is Aireys Inlet - the tip is where the split coast lighthouse is.
So tomorrow we head for Geelong and then onto Werribee on Friday and then home, we think camping at Geelong will be ultra expensive so have decided to flag our rest day there - have to watch our pennies now since we are a 'voluntarily self funded unemployed couple' (like that!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment