October cycle tour map

October cycle tour map

Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Winchelsea to Colac


Winchelsea - Colac = 51km
Cummulative total = 185km

Well we sure had to dig deep today to find the energy and strength to get here to Colac! This is our 4th day cycling and we were feeling it in the legs - even NEIL was feeling it ... must be old age!!!
Now I think I mentioned yesterday that the lovely caretaker at Winchelsea caravan park cooked up a meal for his little dog and put some aside for Kouta (he must look hungry!) well Neil took a photo of kouta eating his lovely hot gravy meat and rice meal out in the tent vestibule.

Basically from 1pm when it started to rain until 8pm Kouta slept and only got out of the basket to eat this meal and once finished he promptly went back to sleep! what a life aye!
So today we started out fine and the legs were okay feeling a little tired. So again we took the back roads to Colac to avoid the highway, although it would have been shorter (by 14km) and quicker to take the highway, it was a hell of a lot nicer taking in the country scenery.

This is your typical country road scenery - paddocks, paddocks and more paddocks! the only difference between the paddocks maybe cattle, sheep, grain or potatoes!
We had a short stop in Birregarra (where Neil was born!) and the rest area there was really nice, new tables without writing all over it, shade and a power point near the rotunda which is handy to know so next time we can plug in the computer.
From Birregarra we took a dirt road to cut across to another sealed road so we don't have to go up an enormously steep hill! ... but in doing so we still had to go up a hill on unsealed road but at least it wasn't as steep

If this was a movie the image wouldn't really change ... I was going so slow that it looked like I was standing still!
Nevertheless by the time we got to the end of this road Neil and I were beginning to feel it and to add to our woes we also had headwinds for most of the day - Neil reckons that the only reason why we made it to Colac is because I was chanting in my head "Flos' cakes, Flos' cakes ..." that goes to show that Neil doesn't know me that well because I wasn't chanting "Flos' cakes" it was more like "Flos' biscuits, Flos's biscuits"!!!! LOL
Ah yes we did find it in us to make the last 10km and I tell you I was okay to get here but I think Neil was really relieved to arrive here at Colac.
We shall rest here tomorrow and there is a Heritage Festival on so I think I would like to go have a looksie.

No comments:

Post a Comment