October cycle tour map

October cycle tour map

Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Latrobe River bush camp to Warragul

 
Latrobe River bush camp to Warragul = 43.32km
Cummulative total = 133.57km

Before I start on todays cycle I thought I would show you a photo of 2 water bottles we had this morning - the one on the left is water from Bayswater and the one on the right is water from Warburton ...
 
it is hard to tell from the photo but the one on the right (warburton) has a cloudy yellow tinge to it compared to the crystal clear water on the left (bayswater) but it tasted perfectly fine!
We both had a good nights sleep last night - no running water stream or damn ingrits using the communal fireplace (right near where we camped at warby) and children screeching worse than crows and magpies singing in a choir!   Although I do have one complaint - Kouta decides to sleep right at the end of my matress - which is only 3/4 length so when I stretch my legs it is on the tent floor ... well all night last night I had to be careful when I moved and I must admit my feet did get cold at one point and I am guilty of resting them on him ... not sure how many times I kicked him though!
We got up early and managed to get away by 9am
 
it was an overcast day and in amongst the trees there was low cloud but not as cold as the morning in warby.  We knew it was going to be a tough day cyling today.  Since we cycled through here 2 years ago we knew that we had a steep hill climb as soon as we turned off to Nayook.  It was about 2km long but quite steep but fortunate for us this is an extremely quiet road and only had a few cars pass us.  The thing with this hill is that you don't go down, instead it flattens out and begins to climb between Nayook and Neerim Junction.  At Neerim Junction I said to Neil that I couldn't quite get down to the lowest gear so he begins to tinker and tinker and nearly 30mins later he decides that he will replace the gear cable at Warragul ... in the meantime I will have to 'find' and 'feel' my gears! Great I thought knowing that it is undulating to Warragul and when you need gears!
From Neerim Junction to Neerim South it is basically downhill - but this road is used by logging trucks and gravel trucks as well as alot of local traffic.  And I remembered from 2 years ago that the road is absolutely crap!  Although 2 years ago it was a Sunday we rode this road and the traffic was all weekenders but today it was trucks.  They weren't too bad it was just very stressfull as the road is too narrow for the trucks, no shoulder and because the trucks are so heavy they have broken up the road so we had to be very careful when hurtling down the hills as there are quite a few holes.  Now some of the down hills were very steep and I laugh at my minimum for the day 4.5km per hour (going up some steep hills) and my maximum for the day is around 45km per hour (going down some steep hills and riding my brakes at the same time!).  Basically you were either going up a hill or down it there was no flat road to pedal along.
At Neerim South we had a coffee brake and again rejoined this crappy road - it is particularly bad through the township and all the way to the Rokeby turnoff.  From there there seems to be no heavy trucks - Neil thinks they turn off and head towards Nilma so I am pleased about that.  Below is a photo of the typical countryside we saw today - we either saw it in great detail because we were going so slow or it was a blur as we hurtled down the road!
 
At the Rokeby turnoff it is a climb to the township - of which we saw no one around - it was also like that the last time we passed through there!  Basically you keep climbing then a little down then a little up and so on and so on!  Neil by the 8km to go mark states "I'm sick of hills!"  I must admit it was tiring but we both agreed that although the body was tired the muscles still remembered hills and coped okay with them and were strong enough to get up them.  We were both relieved to see this sign ...
 
There is a down hill into the township but don't be fooled as within that down hill there is a small munter of a steep up hill.  We stopped of at the woolies to pick up sausages and pasta salad for dinner - we did have weetbix last night for dinner.
The caravan park is nice, quiet but expensive $28 for unpowered so I decided to have an incredibly long shower!  Having a rest day here tomorrow I think all 3 of us need it, Kouta was fast asleep as soon as we got here.
The campground has a kitchen, jug but no toaster, fridge, tables and bbq.  Someone is cooking now and my belly is rumbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment