October cycle tour map

October cycle tour map

Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Colac to Cobden

 
Colac to Cobden = 52km
Cummulative total = 52km

We truly are at Cobden today!
We woke this morning and the sun was shining so we decided to head off!  We walked Kouta before we left so that he 'of loads' extra weight if you know what I mean!  Walking around the streets and I look west and see some very grey thick clouds and mention we might have showers ... but a local western district boy told me that they are not rain clouds and are perfectly fine, but I did have some doubt but he reassured me that they are not rain clouds and to trust him as he is a western district boy! can you guess who I am talking about?
Anyway we head off around 9.30am and went on the Princes highway for the first 12km to the turn off to Swan Marsh.  Just out of Colac there was a speed checker and the speed along there was 80km and there was cars going pass at 77km and 71km and after flashing up the speed it then flashes up 'well done' and as we got closer I wondered if it would pick our speeds up, we got closer and then about 10m from it it flashed up 13km and a well done and then a 12km and a well done for Me and Neil!  So within 10m it picks up the vehicle speed - the only problem with that is that cars have wizzed by before even seeing their speed - I think they need to be like us going at <15km per hour to see their speed!
Relieved to get to the turn off as the highway is pretty busy and noisy.  We stopped a few kms before Swan Marsh as there is a sportsground and rested our bikes against the fence.  Below is a picture of the new set up of my bike
 
I am now carrying 2 small panniers at the front and 2 at small panniers at the back.  The front 2 is heavier than the back 2 to counteract the trailer.  But I am now back to my old front rack which is alot higher than the low riders.  The only problem is the back 2 bags block Koutas line of vision so he has now begun to move even more but fortunately the back coped with it.  I will put 2 foam rolls up to see if it will limit is movement ... if not I think the fact that I don't have low riders now will be alot easier to control the bike when he moves.
Just down the road - the other side of Swan Marsh it began to rain - more a light mist so we stopped at the bus shelter for it to pass ... off course I happened to curse that local western district boy and I cursed him even more during the morning (and he even cursed himself! mind you he was blaming that 'bunny' weather girl!) as this rainy mist became heavier and we got wet and had to put the rain coats on!

this is me seeking shelter in the bus shelter.
So poor Kouta had a sense of deja vu with this weather and we had to take his basket of him to keep it dry.  Just before Bungador it really got heavy and we sort shelter under some huge Cypress trees and it was nice and dry under there.  We had our coffee and it began to clear up. 
We continued on to Carpendiet and the rainy mist was off and on.  Just opposite the hall is a farm that has Yaks (I think they are Yaks) and every time we pass this farm (this is the 4th time we have come this way!) there seems to be more and more Yaks!
 
a local!
 
They look very mottled and forelorn as I think they are shedding their winter coat but they also were cursing the 'bunny' weather lady as well as by now those showers were suppose to have passed but they were still around!
From Carpendiet we go down, up, down and up and then along to Cobden.  The country side is very green and lush.
 
this is the typical view you get when riding around the Western Districts.  Lovely isn't it.
We get to Cobden at around 2.30pm and it is up for auction this Saturday and at first we thought it might be closed but they still have the cabins just no tourist traffic.  Fortunately the owner is still here and just tidying up inside - the gas station is closed and so is the restaurant.  Lucky for us he came out and recognised us!  So we are staying here tonight and I think we might have to find an alternative for the next time we come through - might have to go to Camperdown.  Or better still if Timboon get their campground up and running that would be great.
Anyway off to Mortlake tomorrow, the weather hopefully will be warmer than today - I think it is about minus 5 at the moment!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment