October cycle tour map

October cycle tour map

Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Day 14 1524km to 1497km


 Wednesday 20th May = 1524km to 1497km = 27km
Total distance = 215km

We are a day later leaving Barham - it rained yesterday so we spent an extra day there.  We felt well rested leaving at 8.30am this morning.  Since Neils birthday is tomorrow I thought I would make him a birthday cake the other day.  Nothing fancy just a packet mix done in the microwave!
 So it was a nice bright sunny day for most of today and no sooner had we started we had to go under the Barham bridge
 this is a one way bridge with no lights to control flow or a dominant arrow (like NZ one way bridges) it is first come first served and believe it or not it works well - maybe because the locals are use to it ... not sure if that would happen in Summer when the non locals use it especially if they are unaware as to what happens!  The middle part of the bridge does rise when something goes through that can't fit under - but generally most house boats can fit under - maybe not the double story ones.
 this photo is taken as I go under the bridge - I could hear a truck coming and was hoping it would pass over as I went under but it was too slow!
 Both sides of the river have houses now but that soon disappears a few kms up the river.  At about the 1515km mark you come across the little Murray river which creates another island this time in NSW the island is called Campbells Island Forest Reserve.  The photo below is not a great one of the Little Murray River ...
 So we thought we would be camping on this island tonight as the Victorian side is houses, however the houses are far and few.  Since we left early our cuppa break was early and I have a little story for you about our break but first - What is wrong in this photo below? or more to the point what is missing in the photo below?
 if you can't work it out maybe these 2 photos will help!

 yes that is me having to kayak out to get Neils  kayak which had floated off while we were having our cuppa!  So here is the story ... just towards the end of the break Neil looks and sees that his Kayak is about 1m from the bank and says that shit my kayak is floating off!  You'll have to paddle out and get it Janet as it is too deep to walk in and get it.  So up I jump and paddle out to the Kayak before it gets to just pass the corner as then it would have entered the midstream and where the river flow is strongest and then I might struggle to grab it.  So I caught up to it and it still wants to go out to the midde of the stream, but I need to turn around and go back to shore which is not that easy when you have to hold Neils kayak and still paddle.  Here is Neil telling me what to do on the bank and off course I am ignoring him as his idea is just ridiculous - untie your paddle string and tie my kayak to yours and paddle - 2 things just how can I tie the kayak to mine and then paddle as it will make my kayak twice as wide and before you say tie it to the back - I suggest you try to control 2 kayaks, get up and walk to the back of your kayak to hitch Neils kayak to mine!  So I decide no it is easier to herd it in like sheep while I am turning my kayak around and then shove it in towards shore, catch up to it and then give it another shove so Neil can grab it ... and that is what we did!
The amount of times I have told Neil to watch his kayak as the river flow will pick it up and it will float off - I have lost count, he doesn't anchor his kayak enough when we have a break but will definitely anchor it at night times ... so at the end of the day do you think this is bit of an over kill?
 I think Neil has learnt his lesson!
So the arms felt okay today - a little tired towards the end.  We did have a fair bit of a headwind today as it is blowing hard from the north west and the general direction of the river flow was north west.
Our camp spot is on the Victorian side as the island on NSW doesn't provide any great camp spots that are clear and have a place to beach the kayaks.
Even Victoria wasn't easy but we are between farms!
it is a nice spot - the river has narrowed here so the water flow is fast.
Tomorrow might be hard again to find a spot as we will have houses on both sides of the river.

1 comment:

  1. Did you get my text message this morning? Happy birthday (in case you didn't get it). Russell is happy to pick you up from Swan Hill on Sunday arvo. Give a ring if you want a lift. Would be much easier than the train!

    ReplyDelete